Questions for Reflection
These questions for reflection were developed during the Community of Mindfulness, NY Metro aspirant process
and were published in The Mindfulness Bell #21,April 1998 pg. 13.
1. Why do I want to receive the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings?
2. Why have I decided to state my aspiration to receive the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings in a formal ceremony at this time?
3. How has my practice of mindfulness (understanding, love, and compassion) helped me to transform my suffering
(anger, fear, depression, craving/neediness, despair, distractions; specific relationships and past and current experiences
of suffering)? What are ch all enges in the practice for me at this time? Where is my "growing edge?
4. What time and energy can I offer at this time and over the next few years to take responsibility for the
well-being of the Sangha with whom I practice? How am I communicating with my Sangha about my deepening aspiration,
to encourage support and avoid divisiveness?
5. Where am I with my relationships with my family? with Order
of Interbeing members? with other Sangha members? In what ways am I practicing in the direction of "resolving all
conflicts, however sm all "?
6. Where am I in relation to mindful consumption: alcohol (as interpreted in Thay's tradition); and other
consumption, including TV?
7. How long and in what contexts have I been practicing within Thay's
tradition (local Sangha, Plum Village , retreats, reading)?
8. What is my relationship with my "root" tradition(s)? How do I see the connections in my life
between my root tradition(s) and Thay's practice and teachings?
9. How long and in what contexts have
I been practicing with other meditation traditions? How do I integrate these experiences with Thay's practice and teachings?
10. How do I use the practice of mindfulness in the context of my workplace and livelihood? How would I like
to do this even more?
11. What is my "socially engaged" practice and aspiration?
12. Other questions and concerns about my practice, about the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings, and about
joining the core community of the Order of Interbeing are: (fill in)
[ Go Back ]